There are two types of gum disease. Gingivitis is gum inflammation. The symptoms can include swollen, redgums that bleed easily during tooth brushing, bad taste in mouth, bad breath, pockets in your mouth due to gum recession and infection, and cold or canker sores. Gingivitis is uncomfortable, and usually precedes more serious gum disease, or periodontitis.
Periodontitis is a bacterial infection in your gum, especially in periodontal pockets around your teeth. Over time, it can spread to your jaw bone and cause irreversible damage. Periodontitis can even cause your teeth to fall out. The infections associated with periodontal disease can spread to other parts of the body, causing serious health risks.
You are at an increased risk of developing gum disease if you:
- Chew or smoke tobacco
- Have teeth that are hard to clean, overlapping or crooked
- Possess a genetic susceptibility to the infection
- Practice poor oral hygiene
- Have diabetes
- Are pregnant
- Take certain medications that cause dry mouth
- Take prescription drugs including steroids, cancer therapy, and birth control
At Sherman Oaks Dental we have the Odyssey Laser which will provide fast relief for any soft tissue or gum problems you are experiencing. Treating gum disease is a preventative measure to keep you from developing serious periodontal disease.
How the Odyssey Laser Works
To repair the damage and infection you need to remove all of the infected tissue. This includes closing up the infection pockets. The Odyssey Laser is minimally-invasive and removes the harmful bacteria by passing its light between the gum and tooth. The laser will also stimulate your cells to grow. And all of this is done without an incision.
The Odyssey Laser Benefits
- Faster pain and discomfort relief
- Less recovery time
- Less bleeding, swelling and pain
- Less tissue removal
- Lasting results
- No needles– No injectable anesthetic agents are needed
- No X-rays–the diode is safe and radiation free
- No stitches– laser treated areas are self-sealing
Schedule your appointment with Dr. Weyneth and Dr. Sosenko to discuss how the Odyssey Laser can give you fast relief from your oral discomfort. Call us today at (630) 473-3843 to request an appointment and get the relief you need!