Our patients often ask our dental team, “How often should I brush my teeth”. The American Dental Association recommends brushing AND flossing 2 times per day. Our hygienist at Sherman Oaks Dental, in Naperville, would like us to remind you of a few important brushing tips:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes. Time yourself today to see how long you do brush your teeth for. The average is just 30 seconds!
- Brush your teeth after you eat sugary or sticky foods. Candy is not the only culprit of cavities, beware of fruit chews, juice, and any food that gets caught in your teeth.
- Floss your teeth daily! Flossing removes plaque and food debris from inbetween your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Replace your toothbrush! It’s surprising how long you might be keeping an old toothbrush. Here’s some tips on when to replace:
- After you have been ill.
- When bristles begin to fray
- A general rule of thumb is every 3 months – mark your calendar to keep up.
- Visit our dentists 2 times per year, every 6 months to be sure your oral health continues to be the best it can be.
Do you have a question for our dentists? Ask us on facebook! We would love to answer your questions.